Juveniles injured in New Year’s cabin fire
By Brandon Hurley
A wood-burning stove is believed to be the cause of an overnight fire that devastated a rural cabin and left two juveniles in critical condition.
The Greene County Sheriff’s Office was notified of a structure fire with injuries around 3:30 a.m. New Year’s Day.
A cabin roughly five miles north of Scranton caught fire while a pair of juveniles were asleep inside. The cabin was located near the 1100 block of H Avenue, a sheriff’s report said. The structure was a total loss, completely consumed by the fire, the report said, though the injured juveniles were able to escape alive. A handful of other youths were at the cabin as well, but had departed before the fire began, Greene County sheriff Jack Williams said.
One of the juveniles suffered life-threatening injuries from the fire while the other sustained serious burns. The two were originally taken to the hospital in Carroll but were later transported via ambulance to the Children’s Hospital in Iowa City where they remained as of early this week.
The Jefferson Herald has chosen to withhold the names of the juveniles out of respect for the families.
The original structure of the cabin was roughly 10 feet in width and 15 feet in length. The duration of the burning fire is unknown at this time, though the cabin was reduced to “burning ash,” Williams said once authorities arrived on scene.
“There was nothing left,” he said.
The Greene County sheriff’s department is unsure how the injured juveniles were transported to Carroll.
Other causes of the fire have not been ruled out quite yet, though Williams believes the wood-burning stove is the most reasonable option as it was the only visible source of ignition within the cabin. The department has not yet conducted interviews with the injured juveniles, though they have spoken with the others that were at the cabin at some point that night.
The Scranton Fire Department was also dispatched to the scene of the fire.
This story will be updated when information allows.